Some organizations prefer that their agents use the web client to access Microsoft Dynamics 365, while others prefer that their agents use the Unified Service Desk (USD) Windows client application.
Before the agents can run USD on their desktops, an administrator must install the CRM components on the Microsoft Dynamics 365 organization. See the following steps to install both the server and client components.
Acquiring the USD Installers
With this method, you need to download the following packages:
- The USD Package Deployer
- The USD Desktop Client
- See: Download Unified Service Desk and administration tools
- Click to Download Unified Service Desk.
- Select a language, then click Download.
- Select the installers to download.
- Check the box next to the first item (*-PackageDeployer.exe).
This installer runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
- Select one of the remaining items, depending on the architecture of the machines where you intend to install the USD client application:
- *-amd64.exe for 64-bit operating systems
- *-i386.exe for 32-bit operating systems.
- click Next.
- Download the USD installers:
- The following sections outline the steps to install:
- The USD CRM Package
- The USD Client
Install the USD CRM Package
You only need to install the USD CRM Package once in an organization.
To install the USD CRM Package:
- Execute the USD Package Deployer installer:
- Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms, then click Continue.
- Select a location where to install the Package Deployer, then click OK.
- The Package Deployer launches from the specified location.
This is the program that deploys the USD CRM Package to your Microsoft Dynamics 365 organization.
- Select Office 365 as your deployment type, and check Show Advanced.
- Specify your online region, administrator username and password.
- Select the package to deploy.
We recommend that you deploy the "Unified Interface" package.
- Follow the installer; click Next at each stage when it prompts you to continue.
Note: Some steps may take up to an hour to complete.
- Click Finish to complete the Package Deployer.
Installing the USD Client
You need to install USD on every machine that your agents use so that they can access USD.
To install the USD Client:
- Execute the architecture-specific USD installer.
- Choose a location on your machine with more than 1GB of free space.
- Click Next.
- Check the boxes to install all components, and if you require Create a Desktop shortcut for USD. Then click Install.
- When the installation completes, launch USD:
You now need to install the Live Assist for Dynamics 365 integration for the Unified Service Desk.
See: How to enable Live Assist for USD
Note: When USD was first made available in the United Kingdom Dynamics 365 Region, some additional steps were necessary, as shown in Unified Service Desktop Blog—new organizations do not require the additional steps.