The Unified Service Desk (USD) is a Windows desktop application that you can use to access Dynamics 365 apps. It offers an alternative to using the Dynamics 365 web client. Live Assist for Microsoft Dynamics 365 (LAD365) works with both USD and the web client.
Note: Some organizations prefer that their customer service agents use the web client to access Microsoft Dynamics 365. Others prefer that their agents use the USD. If you are unsure of the situation in your organization, please ask your supervisor.
If you are an agent, you can follow the steps in this article to install the USD on your desktop. If you are an administrator, you follow the steps to install the CRM components on your Microsoft Dynamics 365 organization. These components must be installed first before your agents can use the USD on their desktops.
With this method, you need to download the following packages:
- The USD Package Deployer (for administrators only)
- The USD Desktop Client (for agents)
- Go to the page "Download Unified Service Desk and administration tools"
- Click to Download the Unified Service Desk.
- Select a language, then click Download.
- Select the installers to download.
- Check the box next to the first item (*-PackageDeployer.exe) if you are an administrator.
This installer runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
- Check the box for one of the remaining items, if you are an agent. The specific on depends on the architecture of the machines where you intend to install the USD client application. (If you are unsure of which one to select, ask your IT department or supervisor.)
- *-amd64.exe for 64-bit operating systems
- *-i386.exe for 32-bit operating systems.
- click Next.
- Download the USD installers:
Tip: Agents may skip to step 3.
You only need to install the USD CRM Package once in an organization.
To install the USD CRM Package:
- Run the USD Package Deployer installer:
- Read and accept the Microsoft Software License Terms, then click Continue.
- Select a location where to install the Package Deployer, then click OK.
- The Package Deployer launches from the specified location.
This is the program that deploys the USD CRM Package to your Microsoft Dynamics 365 organization.
- Select Office 365 as your deployment type, and check Show Advanced.
- Specify your online region and enter your administrator username and password.
- Select the package to deploy. (We recommend that you deploy the "Unified Interface" package.) Then click Next.
- Follow the installer; click Next at each stage when it prompts you to continue.
Note: Some steps may take up to an hour to complete.
- Click Finish to complete the Package Deployer.
You need to install USD on every machine that your agents use so that they can access the USD.
To install the USD Client:
- Run the architecture-specific USD installer.
- Choose a location on your machine with more than 1GB of free space.
- Click Next.
- Check the boxes to install all components, and if you want to Create a Desktop shortcut for USD. Then click Install.
- When the installation completes, launch the USD:
You now need to install the Live Assist for Dynamics 365 integration for the Unified Service Desk.
See How to enable Live Assist for USD for details.
Note: When USD was first made available in the United Kingdom Dynamics 365 Region, some additional steps were necessary, as shown in Unified Service Desktop Blog—new organizations do not require the additional steps.